Getting my head around how to create enough buoyancy in the boat, I juggled the idea of simply using inflatable lifting bodies (which I still may use) or installing bulkheads - which in addition may contribute to body rigidity of the entire structure. Also I like the idea of having some storage room etc. - all that beer on the fishing trips needs to go somewhere :-)
As for some reason I decided to use as little plywood as possible with the boat, I also wanted to make the bulkheads form solid Mahogany.
First step obviously is to create the exact pattern / template for the external shape of the bulkheads. I found the method as shown e.g. by Louis Sauzedde https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj3K9i9nLrE
the most easy for me.
The video explains it all, basically it works with using self-adhesive labels and a rough cut piece of cardboard:
|sticky labels to create the exact shape|
|and the final patterns.|
Next step was milling the lumber for the actual bulkheads. I used Mahogany milled to 9mm (actually the boards are the "leftovers" from boards I had sawn already to thickness for future use as the stern of the boat.
|Jig for cutting the mortises and tenons on the table saw|
|one of the two front bulkheads|
|Marking the saw line with a pencil|
|and here is the cutting line|
|Final fit and gluing into place|
|same for the aft bulkhead. The solid spruce and ash pieces are already rough cut elements of the rear deck structure|